Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ten: Attachment


- 10 -

Attachment

Dinner that night was… interesting, if that was even the word for it. Personally, Bulma couldn't really think of one to describe all that happened. It began with all of them: her parents, Krillin, Bardock, and Vegeta sitting at the dinner table watching Goku's absurd eating style. Neither the Briefs nor Krillin batted an eye, having been accustomed to it years ago, but seeing the two Saiyans' somewhat horrified and disgusted looks, she found the whole thing rather funny. Especially Vegeta's face… he had been trying so hard to keep his face stoic yet failed miserably as the almost human look came on his face. Her sudden fall backwards with the chair and rolling laughter had made everyone look at her with puzzlement; even Goku paused momentarily in his eating, but she couldn't stop herself. The entire thing felt somewhat surreal…it had been extremely awkward since the beginning and… at the same time was just really… really funny.

As Bulma's laughter spread to her parents and Krillin... who hadn't missed the two Saiyans' looks while also laughing at her falling backwards... only made her laugh more. After she had finally stopped somewhat, her sides hurting and completely breathless, she managed to collect herself from the floor as she fought down the new waves of giggles at Goku's fake utterly clueless face, his eyes glinting mischievously and the varying emotions on both Bardock and Vegeta's faces. Try as they might, they really weren't altogether unreadable… Goku's father was trying not to grin himself, having caught on to all their amusement… while her cantankerous houseguest clearly thought all of them had lost their minds and was most likely thinking of a snide remark, barely managing to keep it in.

She smiled as she remembered what she had said to them, "You know… if you continue to sit there staring at Goku he's going to eat it all and your looks of disgust aren't going to mean a damn thing when he's stuffed and you're still hungry."


As if to prove her point, Goku had continued eating once more. This of course had not been received well by Vegeta… Bulma sighed, leaning back against the wall of the house as she sat on her balcony looking up at the stars. What had he said? She played back her memories of the night… Rolling her eyes, she chuckled. Right… 'This coming from the woman who fell like a fool from her chair and nearly made my eardrums bleed with that horrible shrieking…'Well it went something along those lines… He had actually used some other choice words… like moron and banshee, among others. Which she had retorted with equally insulting and colorful words, she couldn't just let him get away with insulting her laugh. She had a good laugh… right?

Pushing the thought away, a small smile found its way to her lips…instead thinking about her interactions with her surly Saiyan. At the time she had been angry, but now she found all of it rather comical. That seriously had to be the most she had ever gotten him to talk… Even though he never said more than a few words and was technically insulting her. She knew, thinking back now, that he was only toying with her… Boy did he know how to push her buttons, even while she was pretty sure he had no clue what was going on in her mind… she didn't even know that sometimes… he did know to hit her beauty and intelligence when insulting her. Through the rest of dinner the two of them argued back and forth with little jabbing remarks while her mother tried to chatter mindlessly with anyone and everyone who would listen. Her father would comment whenever appropriate, trying to appease her… while trying not to find the whole thing between her and Vegeta amusing. Krillin kept rolling his eyes and shaking his head as the more childish her retorts became… while Goku was hiding his laughs well as he continued to shovel down food wherever he put it. And while most of her attention had been on Vegeta and trying to come up with comebacks, she had noticed Bardock's curious and attentive gaze on the two of them for most of dinner, a glint of concern with it, but what it meant she really didn't know.

By the time dinner was done and the sun had long set, Goku became noticeably concerned about Chi Chi's reaction to him being out so late and bid them a hasty farewell. With the promise that he would return tomorrow... with both Gohan and Chi Chi… Bulma didn't give him too much of a hard time. Krillin, on the other hand, she teased freely, but in the end he left as well with his own promise of returning the next day. She had felt sad then, it always seemed they were parting or not seeing each other. Even now as she sat there in her pajama shorts and loose t-shirt, her still damp hair clinging to her face as she hugged her bare knees, the feeling crept up on her again.

Frowning, she recalled the strange tension she had come back to after watching her friends leave. Her father had gone back to his lab to work on the communication equation and how to incorporate that into an already functional computer so Bardock could talk to the main base without being heard. Her mother had finished cleaning after dinner and was doing whatever she normally did when she wasn't cooking, leaving the two Saiyans alone in her living room. Clearly Bulma had just interrupted something…

~(Flashback)~

She walked in the front door, trying to shake her melancholy mood when she saw them, standing a few feet apart facing each other, glaring… tails lashing back and forth. They reminded her of two angry cats facing off and she would have probably laughed any other time, but the heavy tension in the air weighed down on her… warning her that if she did do that, something bad would happen. Especially given they had not noticed her… she knew that because of their tails. Both would have promptly had them wrapped around their waists the second they noticed her. Or anyone for that matter. It seemed they were very careful with them and, remembering how much someone could hurt Goku with his, she understood why. They must only let them be free when they were around those they trusted…

Making her face neutral so they wouldn't know she had caught them, she slammed the door loudly, making her presence known. And yet they didn't move. Puzzled, she glanced between the two of them, unsure what to make of all of this. Did this mean they both trusted her? She felt honored… yet that was pushed to the side by the tension that still suppressed the room. Folding her arms, she waited for them to acknowledge her, but as the minutes passed and they didn't, she grew increasingly irritated. What the hell got their panties in a twist? So far she hadn't seen anything to cause this sort of tension… other than the earlier unease… there had been nothing to alert her that something was wrong.

Sighing, she walked towards them. "Okay, I enjoy a good staring contest myself... but this is ridiculous." She ignored Vegeta's glare, focusing on Bardock, whose face had softened somewhat as he looked at her. "Considering what is hanging over us, is now the time to have a pissing contest?" she continued, the question more rhetorical than anything else. "Besides… you haven't seen each other in like…" She paused, not recalling them actually telling. "I don't know, but clearly it's been a while. I would think you guys would be all happy seeing each other. Not standing in my living room looking as if you want to beat the crap out of each other until someone cries uncle… or croaks…"

After getting over his shock over her choice of words, Bardock sighed, "You're right, Bulma…" He turned to Vegeta and to her surprise gave a rather formal bow while saying, "Forgive me, your majesty. I overstepped my authority."

Bulma caught the flick of Vegeta's tail from the corner of her eyes, which signaled the older Saiyan to rise. "No." He turned away from both of them. His tone sounded thoughtful more than anything as he continued, "You did not overstep, Bardock… You are practically the king, though the fools of the court would like to disagree." Bardock's eyes were wide, clearly not having expected him to respond in this manner. "And given all you have done for the Saiyans you deserve respect…" He glanced at him. "Just don't insult me thinking I would stoop so low as that."

Not being privy to what they had been discussing she felt clueless… but even she could tell he had just shown Bardock some sort of reverence that was not normally given, especially by Vegeta. Given what she had seen from him before, this surprised even her. He had never stepped down or shown any sort of high opinion of anyone before. It was so different than his normal rough, arrogant and conceited self… Worried, she covered the two steps to him quickly and leaned against his back, reaching up to feel his forehead… doing it before he even realized what she was doing…

"Are you okay? You must have a fever…" her voice showed her concern and wonderment. "I seriously can't believe I just heard what you said… you never show anyone admiration."

Getting over his shock he growled, "Woman…" His hand seized her wrist somewhat painfully. "What is it with you touching me?" It was then she suddenly realized her embarrassing proximity… her front pressed as it was against his back and left hand at his waist to keep herself steady as her right arm reached over his shoulder.

"Er…" She blushed slightly, remembering he was not one of her close friends either. "Sorry… I sometimes forget about personal space." As she stepped away he let go, glaring daggers at her. "Anyway… seriously, are you the same man I saved, the one who woke up with only rudeness, demands, and no thank-you's whatsoever?"

He turned to face her. "Don't get used to it, woman… because you aren't going to hear anything of the sort from me again." She caught the way his tail moved, lashing back and forth angrily like before and yet there was a subtle difference she couldn't put her finger on.

"Oh really?" She folded her arms as her brow rose, giving him a small, playful grin. "You sound so sure of yourself, don't you?"

"Hn."

"Well you better be careful, mister… that to me sounds like a challenge, and if you have learned anything about me you know I sure do love those…" Mischief played on her face as she rubbed her hands together. "Before this is all over I promise I'll make you eat those words when I get you to thank me."

His eyes narrowed as he snorted, "That is never going to happen, woman…"

She simply continued to smile. "We shall see…"

After they stared at each other for a minute Bardock interrupted, his amusement not so hidden… his tail flicking ever so slightly. "If the two of you are done, I actually had a few questions for you, Bulma."

She eyed him. "Shoot…" At his confused look she added, "That means go for it. Tell me…"

"I was wondering if you could enlighten me on how you met my son. From what I heard it was an important event and yet he hasn't really said anything…" His curiosity… and something else… maybe longing, shined in his black eyes. She smiled, having expected as much; what man wouldn't want to know about his son's life?

"Of course… but first let me just ask how much he told you about the time before we met?" She glanced backwards then sat on the oversized chair. He followed her motion, sitting on the couch across from her.

He frowned. "Unfortunately not much… he mentioned a Grampa Gohan… I was hoping he would tell me, but other things happened."

She snickered, "That's putting it lightly… Chi Chi is... something else, and I can just imagine how well she took all this." As she spoke she noticed how Vegeta shifted uncomfortably, his tail hanging somewhat limp as if he didn't know whether to be there or not. Or maybe if he even wanted to be there.

"She's always been… controlling… if that's the right word. Hell, to get Goku to marry her she let him believe a wedding was a type of food!" She laughed again at the memory of it before sighing, "But as far as I can tell she's been good for him. He would always get into trouble, dragging me along with it… so far I haven't heard anything about trouble until now." She glanced at Vegeta again. "And this time I can't say he is the only guilty one since I found this jerk…" She gestured to him with her head before focusing her attention on him.

"And will you sit down before you have an aneurism trying to decide whether you want to listen or go?" Seeing him stiffen uncomfortably she added, trying ever so vaguely to ease him, knowing he didn't want to admit he was actually curious as to what she had to say about her friend, "Or is my voice really that offending to your ears?"

He sat finally with a huff, "I think I can tolerate it for a little longer."

She grinned, her eyes going back to Bardock who had a knowing look on his face. "Anyway… I can only assume what exactly happened given I hadn't met Gohan before his death, but obviously he had found him as a baby and raised him as his own." Leaning back in the chair, she crossed her bare legs. "At first Goku had been… somewhat violent… or at least that's what he told me. Until he accidently fell from the top of a waterfall and hit his head on the rocks below." She shrugged. "Many think he is… hindered by that hit to the head, but from personal experience I know it's merely a show. He does have a brain and he does use it." Smiling, she thought back to the day she met him. "Back when I first met him he was very naïve and lived in seclusion… and now he just likes everyone thinking he is naive because it's all he knows…"


A small grin appeared on his lips. "You know him very well, don't you?"

"Yes…" She blushed slightly. "He was actually my first real friend… I mean, most would think I wouldn't have any problems gaining friends because of my parents' money and position… and how I look, but after awhile you realize it's not really you but all that you have they are… 'friends' with." Not wanting them to read more into it, she continued quickly, "It was one of the reasons why I left…" She paused, trying to think of what to say; surely she couldn't tell them about the dragon balls… yet. Besides. they would think she was crazy… magical balls that granted wishes? Right.

"I went on an adventure, exploring the world by myself when I was fifteen, and that's when I stumbled upon him accidently…" She giggled, "Actually I ran into him with my car. My first thought had been that I hit a six foot fish, which he had been carrying with him for dinner…" Shaking her head, she was unable to stop from smiling and continued, "He thought I was a monster and walked over all macho and serious-like before lifting my car above his head and throwing it ten yards… with me inside I might add." She wrinkled her nose but smiled again. "Needless to say I was… stunned and amazed, given no man could lift cars and hurl them like he just did… and he was just a child.

"Getting out of the car I calmly told him I was not a monster. But he was still really suspicious and hostile." She looked at Vegeta. "Actually much like you are, now that I think about it…" Vegeta frowned, clearly not happy she had compared him to Goku. "But once I told him I was a girl he grew curious… having never met anyone besides his grandfather before, let alone a girl…" Laughing and turning somewhat pink she added, "Then he looked up my dress trying to find a tail… oh I was floored… that was until he told me tails must take longer to grow on girls and not to worry… which surprised me… After I explained how my car was not a monster, he invited me back to his house. And even thought I thought him really strange for wearing what I thought at the time as a clip-on tail, I decided to go with him. My own curiosity got in the way… Not to mention, he also broke my transportation and it was getting dark." Sighing, she leaned forward. "On the way I learned his name and that it meant 'sword of light' and that his grandfather had trained him in martial arts... Then he laughed at my name, saying it sounded sillier than his… and joyously started calling it out…" Crossing her arms, she huffed, "Jerk…" Pushing it away, she smiled again. "After that he decided to tag along… wanting to see the world with me…"

She laughed, "The first day out trouble in the name of a very hungry and huge Pterodactyl- a flying dinosaur- attacked us and decided I was the better snack and took me… At the time he didn't know he could fly so he used my motorcycle and a steep hill to propel himself in the air. Even then he was just shy of the beast and used this magical stick that elongates to break its neck… He didn't really think about the landing though, so there I was screaming my head off as we free fell to the ground… Didn't help any that he was laughing his ass off before using his pole to skewer my shirt to a cliff so I wouldn't hit the ground while he landed without a scratch…" Shaking her head, she leaned back again. "That should have been my first clue how it all would turn out… but of course I didn't let it deter me."

When neither said anything after a couple seconds, she continued, "The next day I learned how much he really didn't know, having never heard of a bath among other things… So I showed him and then found out that the damn tail was real as he washed his back with it… Getting after my initial shock, I decided his genes must have just mutated or something…" She chuckled, "As you can imagine dealing with a boy who lived in the wilderness with no other living soul, there were many boundary issues and other common things he just didn't know, so it was up to me teach him. I partially raised him the first three years…" She shook her head. "I think he had been living alone for a while… given how much he didn't know. Though he sure did know his fighting…"

Bardock was studying her. "What about this Gohan? What happened to him?"

She frowned. "That… is a very good question. It wasn't until a year after meeting him that it came up. We were trapped in a dungeon in one of our many adventures and when I mentioned it was a full moon he told me about a horrible monster his grandfather told him about that came out during the full moon and it was this monster that killed him… Of course you can imagine what happened once he looked at the moon and turned into said monster… a giant fucking ape certainly wasn't what I had expected." She rubbed her brow. "Needless to say, the dungeon wasn't the problem anymore given he had destroyed it…" Sighing, she shook her head. "No, the giant ape rampaging was… and then he got the notion he wanted to eat me. Luckily our friends cut off his tail and he changed back to normal or things wouldn't have turned out so well…" she hesitated at their shocked expressions. "What? You do turn into giant crazed apes, right?"

Vegeta growled, "Oozaru. The form is called Oozaru, woman, and no, we are not all crazed beasts."

Bardock cleared his throat to hide his chuckle. "We train the children from birth how to control their… Oozaru instincts."

"Oh…" She glanced between them thoughtfully. "That is a good thing. One was certainly enough for me… and unfortunately it happened twice."

"So his tail grew back…" Bardock nodded, clearly having thought them cutting it was the reason why he didn't have it anymore.

"Yup… both times…" With their puzzled looks she added, "Oh, Goku's tail didn't come back when he had it surgically removed…"

"HE WHAT?" they both cried, startling her.

Brow rising, she studied their horrified and shocked expressions. "Well, he removed it… I think he finally made the connection that it was him hurting everyone and he didn't want to hurt anyone else… but what's the big deal… It's not like he could control it like you guys."

Vegeta snorted, "Of course you wouldn't understand, woman. Our tails are our pride, it's what makes us Saiyan and gives us our strength. It's an embarrassment to lose one, let alone cut it off."

Bardock nodded, clearly not happy about this little news, and added, "If he were with his people he would have been stripped of his rank, which is even worse than a slave…"

Her mouth made an 'o' shape, realizing what they were saying. That certainly would explain their horror… She frowned. "I forgot about the whole slave thing."

Bardock glanced sideways at Vegeta before asking, "You don't have slaves?"

"No… its illegal, old man," Vegeta answered for her as she made a face that showed her disgust.

He sighed, understanding her attitude, and frankly wasn't surprised with how they acted the other day. "We unfortunately do… with the destruction of our planet most of them were killed along with the main part of our people, and considering we no longer purge, we haven't been able to really renew the class." He paused. "But I do agree… slavery is a very vile thing. It is one of the many things that have corrupted our people. I've been trying for years to rid it totally. Which is another reason why I need to be careful… many of the court believe we should get more, and Earth, unfortunately, would be easy pickings."

She laughed nervously, "Yeah… we don't want that…" A thought suddenly struck her. "Wait… how, then, are we going to trade with you? I mean… they have to know about us…"

He rubbed the back of his neck, looking suddenly tired. "I don't know… yet… but I'll figure something out."

She nodded, stifling a yawn before looking at the clock. "Holy crap it's late… let's get you a room, Bardock."

~(Back to present)~

Bulma sighed. The whole thing about slaves was the reason why she was out there under the stars just then. Vegeta had told her before, but she was having problems sleeping this time, her mind disturbed with new thoughts. Strangely, she trusted Bardock… and it wasn't just because he was Goku's father. The way he spoke, his eyes… relayed a wisdom few men – including earthlings – possessed. He would never knowingly try to harm her people, but what if it happened accidently? Or it's us versus his own people? There was no way to protect against that… Goku was just one man… She shook her head and closed her eyes tightly, trying to dislodge the horrible images from her mind. She felt torn… wanting to help them and yet at the same time wanting to protect Earth.

Then there was Vegeta caught in the middle… And the promise she had made to him. She wasn't one to go back on her word… but could she protect him if he was the cause of their destruction? Biting her lip, she opened her eyes, staring at the expanse of space and the twinkling stars. She knew she wouldn't find the answers in their glowing, but she found comfort in them. Even though… somewhere out there is Freeza. She shivered. Her conflicting thoughts once more on her Saiyan. Wait… When did he become my Saiyan? That in itself was more horrifying than the whole slave thing. When had she grown so attached to the unruly man? Sure she had practically slaved over him for two weeks, seeing that he healed right… then tried to help and understand his mental mess for another week… but she had always thought she could stop any moment.

Now the truth was slapping her in the face with the cold reality of it all. She cared for him… like one of her friends' kind of caring and not some sort of stranger caring. She couldn't just turn her back on him, even though all he had given her was insults, grief, and was a huge pain in her ass. Breathless, she shook her head…How he manage that? Bulma was proud for being a practical woman, and though she did have tendencies to fall for bad boys, she kept her head level and logical... for the most part. Knowing when enough was enough. She might drool over boys every so often, but with age she had learned not to fall over every single hot guy she came across, and Vegeta… though very good looking in his own right… was no different. She had done that before and had been burned. And she wasn't looking for some fling that lasted a few months or maybe a few years… but a love that lasted.

That type of love didn't come from space men who just so happened to land at your feet. But friends… it appeared did. Hell, this would be the second time… well most likely third considering Bardock. Pinching the bridge of her nose she shook her head. What am I… a homing beacon for aliens? Or just Saiyan men? She chuckled at herself. Would she really have it any other way? Sure, Goku had tried to eat her once, but she hadn't been lying in the fact that he had been her first true friend. She knew the answer before even thinking it. No. She cherished the time she spent with Goku and wouldn't change it for the world. Actually now she had to thank it, it was the only reason she could really read Vegeta. When Goku was in his serious mode he was scary… during their adventures he had killed quite a few people; some were on accident, but when it came down to it and the people just ignored his mercy, he could and would kill. When he was in that frame of mind it was hard to guess what he was thinking, and he could switch so easily to his carefree mode.

It was also how she knew what the small, subtle movements of their tails meant. It was a form of communication, which shouldn't really be that big of a surprise given that both cats and dogs used it. While Vegeta's voice and body screamed wrath and anger… his tail more often than not gave him away and told her he was inflicted, troubled. Even when wrapped around his waist it would move every so often… She didn't realize until earlier that day, seeing Bardock and Vegeta standing toe-to-toe that she had even been doing it. Having been so in tune with Goku's tail when he was younger and having a photographic memory… it just came second nature to her.

There was another reason why she couldn't turn her back on Vegeta, and it had nothing to do with Goku or even her promise. Her gut was telling her that she needed to… had to, even… And it never failed her. Well, it never lied. Sometimes it would remain silent, letting her fall into heartbreak… Maybe she chose to ignore it? Whatever. All that mattered was that she felt sick thinking about not helping him and somehow believed that under everything… all his baggage and pent up emotions… was something special. What it was… she wasn't sure. It would be naive to think he would be like Goku… or even Bardock. Not after all he had been through… But maybe… just maybe she could show him the way to a different life.

Sighing, she stood up from her spot… feeling mentally drained after thinking so long and hard about her inner conflict. She still didn't know how she thought about the slave thing and her people being at risk, but for what it was worth… she knew she couldn't turn away from Vegeta. If anything, he needed a friend more than ever… Huffing, she shook her head. What was she getting herself into?

~(Few hours earlier than when Bulma sat on balcony…)~

Bardock watched Vegeta as his gaze shadowed her every move as she led them to his new housing and told him where everything was before excusing herself. His own thoughts troubled. While the cub swore on his Saiyan honor he would never fall so low as to have relations out of his own race, he knew better… for he had seen it on the way to the planet. Earth had been a hot zone, even before Vegeta had gotten captured. He just never realized it. When the girl told him the story of how she met his son, the visions came back, clearer to him. His son and this girl were practically siblings, and he kind of owed her for looking out for him…

But at the moment that was far in the back of his mind. Instead, he was worried if there was anything he could do to stop the inevitable from happening… having watched the videos Dr. Briefs had showed him… he doubted. Bulma was a breed of woman he had never come across before… her temper and attitude at times were almost Saiyan in nature. Yet, her human tendencies combined with that made it all the worse. She cared… She looked beyond past sins and looked for the good in everyone. In some ways he had his son to blame for that… while she had surely shaped him, he had also shaped her. She hadn't been like that before meeting him… At least that was what he gathered from all the visions.

This duel nature was what made her unpredictable. Even he had been surprised so many times today by the slip of a creature. One second arguing with the prince with a quick tongue and interesting words, and the next smiling… Scolding them for fighting just to turn around and tease Vegeta for saying what he had said to him. That there was another issue with this. Should he try to stop this? The change in his prince was huge… and she was the sole cause. She was right… given she had only known him for a week or so... but never did Vegeta compliment someone or put himself below another like he had earlier that night. And it had only been after she had spoken… calming the rage instantly.

Before she entered he feared Vegeta… even though he couldn't do a thing physically, mentally he could lash out, and depending on the force behind it he could do some major damage. Though he knew he wouldn't kill him, that didn't mean he wanted the pain. He had been standing his ground, trying not to show his fear, knowing the second his prince smelled it he would be in trouble. Neither could he back down, partly due to his own pride and the fact that it would have also made him lash out. He had been afraid when sensing Bulma coming in, worried Vegeta would lash out at her physically instead, but to his surprise the murderous look in his eyes (one he got when he was about to kill someone) seemed to soften, the tip of his tail twitching. Even before opening her mouth her presence had had a noticeable effect on him.

He was further surprised when she didn't say anything, but made an effort to slam the door, announcing her presence as if they didn't know she was there… then waited… before finally speaking. It was almost like she knew doing anything else would have been dangerous. She interrupted them perfectly, like a true Saiyan would when breaking up a fight of that nature: Drawing part of the attention to herself, then swiftly bringing to their attention how idiotic their actions were, while at the same time insulting them on some level. Not enough, of course, to make the fighting Saiyans want to hurt her instead.

Had being around his son really given her such an insight to his people? He agreed with her in the aspect that Goku wasn't as stupid as he let on, but she made it seem that he held more intelligence than even he would give him credit for. But given his actions in personally removing his tail, his own decision… he could see what she meant. Saiyans loathed losing their tails and his son had been no different… even he had seen the wishful looks at his and Vegeta's tails. If Goku had known there was another way to protect everyone while keeping it, he would have taken it… But the fact that he made the choice to remove it anyway showed clear thought and judgment.

Why couldn't this be just a fling? Saiyans had those… And there had been hardly any fear of producing offspring because their species needed the right conditions. Every year there would be a blood red full moon and their animalistic natures would come out without them actually changing, consuming the mind. It was how his first son had been born. It ensured their species continued to produce offspring, considering the alternative method of actual mating was rare and difficult. It was a process that required both to give complete control and trust in the other, and for saiyans that was nearly impossible… well, at least for the past few generations it had been. Now with no moon on most of the bases… and those that did have ones didn't have the right energy waves… their race was slowly dying out. They were unable to give themselves to a life-mate. Unable to be more open and trusting. Their own pride was going to be their downfall.

If Bulma was a Saiyan he would have been thrilled… but given Vegeta's history, no Saiyan female would trust him like this frail earthling did. Not after all that he had done in Freeza's name and destroying one of his people's bases… He was their prince, but he was also their enemy. An image of what they hated. Though it wasn't his fault, they still blamed him. No… this would have never happened with a Saiyan woman. They lacked the emotion and kindness Bulma had… which had been hammered into their very beings to turn against since birth.

Like Bulma he was torn. Should he let them continue on their course? If he did, his prince would then become the ruler their people desperately needed… not to mention saving him from the hell he now waded through. Yet, the most obvious problem with that was her not being a Saiyan. Their people wouldn't accept that and would truly turn their backs on him or worse… Or he could stop it. Stopping what was ever-so-slowly forming between the two of them. His people would still partly accept him like they did now… and Bulma would surely fair better. And yes, he did find himself caring about the girl's wellbeing. Her personality and Saiyan-like nature at times made it easy to form an attachment to her. Let alone she meant so much to his son…

Vegeta looked at his mentor when he sighed deeply; having heard that sound a few times before, he wondered what Bardock was thinking… He knew the older Saiyan only did that when he was pondering something that really troubled him. He looked away abruptly. What a stupid question, he knew what it was already. The old man thought him so weak… so pathetic… She was attractive, yes, and maybe even the first woman he ever thought such things about when not being controlled... But in no way would he be willing to fall so low… Not when he had control again. His fists tightened with rage. He had honored the man with no truer words and he still thought so low of him. It only showed how badly Earth was affecting him.

"Calm yourself, boy. I am not thinking what you think I am." Vegeta's head snapped up to meet his eyes.

There was a frown on Bardock's face and a knowing look in his eyes. "And for your information, I do not view being with humans as lowly and not just because part of my blood is one…" Vegeta relaxed somewhat, surprised. "If anything, Bulma would be one of the best choices if we were forced to go that route," he sighed, shaking his head. "My son and his wife are proof… they are bonded. How I don't know… but they are."

And already you are starting the process with her…Which he couldn't say of course. How would Vegeta know the first steps to the true mating were the constant insults they had already shared between them? He was five when given to Freeza… And his mental frame of mind before being captured made Bardock wary about bringing up such conversations. A few times… wouldn't have made him too concerned, but with the lab incidents and dinner… he realized that it might have already been too late, having been through it himself. Once it started, rarely did it stop until the bond and mating were complete or they turned on each other. Another problem was how neither one even realized it or how quickly it had happened. It wasn't natural progression. Part of the reason why the first steps were the insults and arguments was because they didn't want to believe it… but the two Saiyans involved knew.


It had to be different because she was human… not having the same social and cultural barriers they did. She already trusted him. That much was evident… and even cared. That process for Saiyans took a year at least… but even that was rare. And not only did the female have to trust and actually care, the male did as well… Which meant that the main thing keeping the inevitable from happening between Vegeta and Bulma was the boy's own problems with trust. If it was anyone but Bulma he would have stopped worrying right there… Bardock never thought anyone could win over his prince, but she was unknowingly doing the impossible. The second and only other thing that kept it from happening was Bulma. She was prideful herself, and he got the feeling she wasn't about to have a relationship knowing there wasn't much hope for the future…

Pushing his thoughts to the back of his mind, he continued speaking, "Which leads me to think it is easier to form bonds with them."

Vegeta snorted, "Hn…" He wasn't sure he liked hearing that. "How many births since I've been gone?"

"Fifteen, but six died without warning…" Bardock looked out the window. "On the bases with moons there have been many miscarriages and the six deaths all come from them."

Remaining stoic, Vegeta stared at the ground. Had he hoped it would be different? Truthfully he hadn't thought about it until now. But it was something he should be thinking about… should be trying to solve. If he was to be king someday… It was certainly troubling, knowing his race was slowly going to die out. Disappear forever… Was it bad that he didn't really care? He never really let such things trouble him. It wasn't until coming here that he even considered his people in his thoughts. Well… no. That wasn't entirely true… Only once since boarding Freeza's ship had he cared, but that was a more recent memory he didn't want to relive anytime soon.


"Any new matings?" he asked, surprising Bardock.

"Just one… and unfortunately that was Goku."

He turned away, not liking to see his mentor's surprise that he was asking these things. It was the horrible truth that he hadn't really showed concern about his people before, and Vegeta didn't like how that pained him. "You should check out the moon here. If it forced Kakarot to change it might have the right energy, especially if it made him so crazed."

Bardock's eyes widened, realizing he was right. "I'll look into it…" He scratched the scar on his cheek, thinking. The other moons didn't affect them the same way, but then that wasn't new. Their own planet had two moons and only the yearly one made reproduction out of true mating as a life-mate one hundred percent certain to produce viable offspring. The white moon that happened every one hundred years was a different story all together...

There were a few minutes of silence before Vegeta finally asked, "So are you going to tell me who is behind your son and the betrayers, or are you going to make me beg?"

Bardock snorted, having known Vegeta had been wanting to ask about that the whole time. "Go rest, boy. I'll tell you tomorrow. Waiting another day isn't going to kill you."

Vegeta growled, but knew nothing he said would change his mentor's mind. When the older Saiyan got that tone and look, nothing would deter him. It was the reason why he was as strong as an elite and their race was still alive. It also allowed him to get things done when the court disagreed with him. And it was the one reason why Vegeta didn't kill him even when he had wanted to countless times before.

As he went to leave, Bardock spoke with a grin on his lips, "As the earthlings say… sleep well, boy."

Vegeta flipped him off as he left the room and did not bother to look back, knowing the old man was just trying to rub in the fact that he didn't get an answer to the one question he was dying to know. As he walked past the woman's door towards his own he shook his head as a grin of his own ever so slightly appeared. His relationship with Bardock had always been… different. He knew he owed the older Saiyan a lot, and though he had fought him every step of the way, never once had he let his rage actually kill him… hurt yes, but kill… never. Clearly, since he was still standing. And tonight would have been no different. Though Bulma's words had made him remember things from his life before the last five years… The time spent with Bardock… his mentor. The old Saiyan was the only one, besides Tash… and now Bulma, who could get away with standing up to him. And all for completely different reasons. He respected Bardock… before his life became so messed up he had been his teacher in their race's history among other studies upon his mother's request, and after he had freed him from Freeza he had quite literally beat him at times into submission so he wouldn't destroy them all, bringing damage to his own body in the process. Then there was the whole period of relearning and furthering his knowledge of the Saiyan culture.

Entering his room, Vegeta looked at the pale moonlight on the floor… He wondered why Bardock hadn't felt it. The moon here was different than any he had felt before. Was it because he had forgotten? That didn't make sense. Vegeta couldn't really remember what the yearly moon on his planet felt like. It was lost under other memories he had forced himself to forget. He was almost willing to attempt resurfacing them just to know, but the thought was quickly squashed. He was already having troubles with his past and these thoughts Bulma had planted in his head. The last thing he needed was to open more troubles that were better off left alone. What was the phrase he heard Bulma use? Let sleeping dogs lie? He didn't know what a dog was, but that certainly fit this current situation.

With the thought of the woman he growled, striding over to his bed and lying down. Bardock telling him after dinner when they were alone that he needed to be careful with the woman… the second time in one day… It was infuriating. And yet this last time had been different. He had heard the urgency. He could see the concern in his body language and the way his tail jittered. Bardock didn't give such warnings unless warranted. First, the thought that he would ever couple with Bulma had startled him. Then he just snapped suddenly, angry Bardock would think such a thing… even now he didn't see what he was so worried about. The woman amused him… and frustrated him… That was it. He wanted to figure her out, because she was right, he didn't understand her. But there was nothing there to really be concerned about… right? Again, Bardock didn't say things unless they needed to be said… Had he seen something? A vision maybe?

Maybe he would stop trying to make the woman angry… stop insulting her to get a rise… He could just ignore her altogether. No… that would be impossible. Bulma wasn't about to let him do that… Then what should he do?

~~~~ .~-~. ~~~~
Beta'd by LPphreek

No comments:

Post a Comment